Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Elder Freedom

Is this it?
Is this what I've always heard was coming?
Learning to say "no" --
Rebellion?
Laughing out loud--
Playing?
No one telling me who I am
Or how to act
Or what to do?
No one scolding me when I mess up,
Imposing their own perceptions
And strict standards,
Making judgements?
It's been a long road--
Making mistakes,
Falling on my face,
Getting back up with determination.
Trials made me stronger.
Heartache made me kinder.
Confidence--
Listening to my own voice.
Why does it take so long to get
To this Special place--
Abandoning stigmas
And expectations placed on us by
Those less free?

Copyright 2008 By-Barbara Davis

5 comments:

seniorwriter said...

This is an interesting poem. I would call it mature freedom, not second childhood. My circumstances are far different from yours; I'm all alone now, but I've always been quite independent. You have a lovely family, by the way (as I see from your pictures). I like your dog, too.

Marlys

Barb Davis said...

Thanks a million for your comment on the poem "Second Childhood". When I grew up in the 1950's and early '60's women were far more constrained by society than were men. I have always heard terrible things about the later years of one's life and their so-called second childhood. But, much to my surprise, my mature years are bringing far more freedom than I experienced in my first childhood. The poem expresses those discoveries. I do love your suggestion, though, and will probably do something along that theme, later on. Love you comments. Barbara

Barb Davis said...

I first published this poem as "Second Childhood", but with some encouragement, I have changed the title to "Elder Freedom".

Anonymous said...

I agree that Second Childhood didn't fit well since childhood is more a time of conformity and you are saying that you've escaped all of that. Different people reach it at different moments for different reasons--Freedom is the key word.

Barb Davis said...

Linda, your comment means a lot to me and you are right. Keep the comments coming.