Friday, November 14, 2008

Quiet Change

The gardeners were here all afternoon --blowing and raking the moist golden leaves into mammoth stacks. Two young men piled and then gathered the leaves, while another hurried around on a riding lawn mower, cutting the viridescent grass for the last time this year.

But for the short, manicured grass, the lawn is now barren. The Serenity Garden is dusky, still, and quiet. It seems to be settling in for it's long, peaceful wintertime nap.

Just as our environment changes with each season, so does the flow and circumstance of our daily lives. I take comfort today in the beauty of God's Divine handiwork in nature and in myself.

***What daily, monthly or yearly changes have you seen in your environment or your life?


READERS: Don't forget to enter The Thankful Turkey Day Giveaway for a new pashmina (soft wool) shawl/scarf. Contest ends on Thanksgiving weekend.

1. Your blog MUST appear in my community of "Followers" in the right hand column where the pics are.

2. Once you have become a "Follower" I will enter your name into the drawing box, then each time you leave a comment, your name will go into the box again. Enter as many times as you wish, but remember, your blog MUST appear in my community of "Followers."

3. When your name is drawn you will have 48 hours to send me your address. If I don't hear from you within that time, a second name will be drawn.

14 comments:

Pat's Place said...

A cold front blew in last night and it is not supposed to get out of the 60s today. THAT is a change from our temperatures that have been in the 80s. I am planning to make a big pot of soup today. We love soup in cold weather!

Jeannette said...

Our garden has gone to sleep as well, re-gathering its strength for the Spring

Joanne said...

Our tomato patch and flower gardens are all cleared out too. Cleaning up the gardens ushers in that time of year when enjoy more time indoors, a little more laid-back than the energy of the summer months. I like these changes throughout the year.

Linda Hoye said...

Although I lamented the passing of summer, I have come to appreciate the change in seasons. Our yard has been put to sleep as well, and instead of endless evenings outside in the lawn swing, I'm enjoying time curled up with a book by the fire.

Barb Davis said...

Pat- I sometimes wish I lived in a warmer climate, but then remember how I love the changing seasons.

Barb Davis said...

Jeannette- Everything needs a rest..even nature.

Barb Davis said...

Joanne- The winter months encourage us to rest from the toil of keeping the lawn and gardens immaculate.

Barb Davis said...

Linda- I agree and since we both live in the Pacific Northwest, we share some of the same weather conditions. I've been spending a lot of time beside my cozy fire.

Terri Tiffany said...

Some of our trees here in Fla are losing their leaves and the nights sometimes are cooler.
Changes in my life????? LOTS:))

KKJD1 said...

Well I awoke to rain and wind hitting the window in the middle of the night. The wind has continued today and the temp seems to be dropping. I think I'll go get me a nice cup of hot tea! Enjoy your weekend. Oh and thank you for the kindness badge. Blessings, Karen

Barb Davis said...

Terri- Florida must be a nice place to live. I've been to the state twice.

Barb Davis said...

KKHD1- Rain, wind, and a cup of tea....sounds nice. Have a great weekend!!

Barb Davis said...

kkjd1- Sorry about spelling your name wrong above.

Janna Leadbetter said...

We saw delicate snow flurries yesterday, for the first time this year!