Monday, February 23, 2009
What Makes A Good Blog?
I read several blogs each day and I'm sure you do, too. Some of them I read daily and keep going back.
I'm beginning to put together a mental picture of what I like in a blog. Let's see if you agree. Here's what I've come up with so far:
1. Brief posts with lots of white space.
2. Short paragraphs. I become discouraged and usually stop reading when I see long, seemingly unending ones. There's not alot of time to spend on any one blog. Most of us are short on time these days.
3. Color. Art. Photography.
4. A question at the end of each post. It encourages comments.
5. Do some giveaways. Everyone loves a game and free stuff.
6. Write the way you normally talk. It grows trust between you and your reader.
7. Try to respond to each comment, so the reader will know you've actually read it and value their remarks. Sometimes it's not practical, I know, but it's usually doable (is that a word?).
8. Add some humor.
9. Try to post something each day. Regular readers want to have their daily visit with you.
10. Don't share your most intimate information online. You never know who's reading it.
***Now it's your turn. What do you think makes a great blog?