Saturday, September 20, 2008

County Fair Memories

Last evening, Becka, Jim, and I went to our county fair. We arrived around 6:00 and since we were all starving, we ate fair food before meandering around to look at the exhibits. As we walked through the livestock barns and main pavilion, we were reminded of all the years we had spent there as a young family. Back then the children always had something to enter--chickens, rabbits, geese, turkeys. And of course, I was always taking my baked goods and fresh eggs for competition in the "foods" category.

Before leaving the fair we walked through the Midway-- "just for fun." Jim and I always took the kids there when they were little, for rides on the merry-go-round and train, but that was years ago. This time I wanted to walk around for the memories--Jim, Becka, and I.

As we entered the Midway section I said to Becka, "Twenty years ago I won a teddy bear for you in the shooting arcade, so tonight I want you to win one for me." We searched until we found the exact booth. Becka walked up to the counter, handed the man her money, took the special pellet gun in hand and started firing. She did just what I expected--shot the red star out of the center of a small sheet of paper. There was no doubt in my mind she could do it. She impressed everyone who stood there watching-- two of which were friends from long ago. They said, "We stopped to watch that little girl shoot, and when we noticed the two of you with her, we understood how she could do it." The compliment was very kind and made us laugh.

What a great night! Is there anything better than a warm summer night, crunchy corn dogs, blue ribbons, loud music, caramel apples, old friends and a girl who can shoot?

2 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

...Not unless they had funnel cakes available too. ;) What a great night. This is the stuff of good personal essays which find their way into anthologies!

Barb Davis said...

Angie- Yes! They had funnel cakes. Yummy!! You would have loved the fair.