Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Everyday Battles

We ladies are pretty good fighters when it comes to defending our homes and families--and ourselves. We are ready to defend our children, our husbands, our beliefs, and those we feel are being treated unfairly. I think fighting for justice is part of the female DNA, but sometimes we take on battles that are unnecessary and pointless.

I once knew a lady who was extremely competitive. Whether it was a simple game, a contest of talent, or a debate of any kind, Debby always had to win. She was driven to come out on top. I think, we all know people like that, and it may even apply to ourselves. Anyway, she didn't seem to realize that some battles were important and others were not worth the effort or the chance that winning might alienate someone she cared about.

"Relationships are more important than winning" is a motto that I've come up with and that I try to remember. I try to think about the consequences of my words and actions. Of course, I'm not perfect, but it does help to keep that important thought in mind. Do we always need to have the last word or win the game? In my opinion, the fun and pleasure is in the sharing of time and in building loving, trusting relationships.

Many things that seem important today may seem meaningless in a few weeks or next month. Will we remember it next year? Will this battle make an enemy or hurt the feelings of a friend? We may want to take a step backward and breathe deeply before we take on a "fight" or start getting worked up over something that may not be a "big deal."

Remember to "choose your battles wisely."

Copyright 2008 By-Barbara J. Kirby Davis

No comments: