Monday, September 1, 2008

Wishing and Working Hard

A few days ago, out of curiosity, I bought a simple, but very thick book called "The Wish List." It lists 6,000 ideas for things to do, see, taste, learn, and experience. The book's cover says this, "...it's a compulsively readable list that sounds a call to get out there and start living." That's my kind of book!! I've only read about a third of it so far, but it's reminded me of some of the special things that I have experienced in my life. I had to work very hard on many of them.

1. I was invited to a debutante ball when I was a teenager.
2. Helped a cat give birth to a litter of kittens.
3. Sold 20 of my hand-made, ornate, gingerbread houses at a Christmas Craft Fair.
4. Sailed on a cruise to Alaska and had High Tea every afternoon.
5. Received an impassioned love letter.
6. I have seen a baby's first steps.
7. I was an advocate for bike paths and public transportation in our city.
8. Taught a dog to play ball.
9. Ran for political office and won.
10. Attended the elegant State Governor's Inaugural Ball, twice.
11. I was State Committee Woman for my political party.
12. Played Black Jack in Las Vegas.
13. Lived four years in the Land of the Midnight Sun.
14. Made homemade ice cream and loved it.
15. Won Best of Show in baking at the County Fair.
16. Received the Commissioner's Cookie Jar Award for cookie baking at the County Fair.
17. Was "Head Majorette" in high school.
18. Owned and operated a baton twirling school. I have taught baton twirling to many little girls.
19. Researched my heritage and was invited to join The Daughters of the American Revolution.
20. Saw a grizzly bear in the wild.
21. Marched with the high school band at football games.
22. My husband and I raised turkeys, killed, and dressed them for our freezer.
23. Shot a .44 magnum handgun.
24. Taught an adult Sunday School class.
25. Head Start volunteer / local Vice President of Policy Board
26. I fished the remote Baker River in Alaska while carrying a baby on my back.
27. Made 150 jars of jam in one summer.
28. I learned to make a perfect piecrust from scratch.
29. I can raise my right eyebrow, without moving the left.
30. I cut down my own Christmas tree without help.

The list above is only a short list of the experiences that make up the person I am today. There are so many more things I wish to do in the future. I'm still reading, dreaming, and marking the things I want to accomplish.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, McCain missed the mark and should have chosen you for VP! You still get my vote anyway!! You still alot of life to live so keep that list growing!!!

Barb Davis said...

Lori- You're funny!! Love, Mom

Pat's Place said...

Wow! What an accomplished young woman you are! I am impressed and you have a long way to go!

Linda said...

That's a lot of stuff--and a big variety, too. Probably a good exercise for all of us to do--as a reminder of how far we've come in life and what we're made of--our accomplishments do define us. :)

Barb Davis said...

Linda- It's interesting to sometimes recount our big AND small successes. We sometimes forget all those growth markers in life. Through this exercise, we can begin to understand how our past is connected with our present and our future.

Barb Davis said...

Pat-Thank you for the encouragement. Life is only getting better with age!

Barb Davis said...

Linda Sweetheart- I forgot to say "I love you." Mom

Anonymous said...

You should have listed:

Had six kids and still look good!!

Love ya,

Barb Davis said...

WF- Yes, my children are my greatest joy. I wished for them early in life and was very blessed with a dream that came true.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Wow, what a list! I don't think mine would be near as impressive. You're an inspiration.

I received the gift you sent in the mail today. Thank you so much! It's perfect.