Monday, October 13, 2008

October Chill

The weather is chilly now, especially the mornings. The low was 29 degrees last night. The days are getting shorter and the leaves are beginning to disappear from the big walnut tree. Summer was too short this year. Does anyone else feel it or is it just me? Perhaps, it's my age-- everything seems to pass quicker these days.

The heat of summer called for light salads, melons, corn on the cob, and meats cooked on the outdoor grill, but today I'm baking cornbread and there's beef stew in the crockpot. A change in the weather calls us back to dinners around the family table, warm and hearty home-cooked meals, and slow, easy conversation.

This week, I expect the woodcutter will deliver the cord of hardwood we ordered several days ago. I love the smell of fresh cut timber--it brings back memories of the days our family spent gathering wood when the children were young. Jim and our sons would make the trip in the truck, while the "ladies" followed along in the car. Woodcutting "makes a person hungry" so I cooked lots of food for the picnic we would enjoy at mid-afternoon.

Once my mother visited around this time of year and joined us in a day of wood-cutting. She was thrilled to go on an adventure she had not experienced before. I remember she offered to make her famous deviled eggs for our picnic lunch and they were delicious. My mother is in Heaven today, but I will always treasure that special day and the excitement on her face.

Now that we are older and the kids are grown, Jim and I take the convenient way out and order a cord or two for the cozy fires we build in our big brick fireplace.

Let the cold wind howl outside our door and the snow cover our rooftop; there will always be something warm on the stove and special memories stored in our hearts.

12 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

reading about your seasons and the wood and stew in the crockpot reminds me of my home back in PA. You are making me homesick! I miss that part of our life so much! Here in FLa--it's not cozy at all!

Joanne said...

I love it when the temps dip that low. When I read about your summer meals, switching to hearty autumn plates (same here!) I guess what I love is the change of seasons, the different senses called upon. But probably what I enjoyed most here are the deviled eggs! Can't have enough of those ...

Angie Ledbetter said...

Real seasons always seem a little unreal to me. Here in Louisiana we have 3 -- summer (9+ months long sometimes), football & hunting. Those are our seasons. Hey, but if it ever dips below 70, the chili and stew pots come out. ;)

PS...wish you could come take some of these cut logs & limbs still lining many streets from Gustav!

Unknown said...

I love your writing style ... for the time it took to read this post ... I was curled up on the couch, feeling warmed by the fire, smelling stew cooking ... and then, I was back at my computer remembering times in my own life that were cozy. Thanks for giving me that little mental vacation.

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Janna Leadbetter said...

Love the warm feeling you stirred in talking about crisp, nostalgic fall days.

Barb Davis said...

Terri- Here in Idaho we have the four seasons. I wouldn't be happy without them.

Barb Davis said...

Joanne- I love deviled eggs, too, and make them for all our family parties.

Barb Davis said...

Angie- I completely understand about football and hunting being seasons...I grew up in Tennessee.

Barb Davis said...

Footprints- Cozy times renew and comfort us. We store up those times in cold weather and blossom anew in Spring.

Barb Davis said...

Janna- I'm glad to hear I stirred those feelings!!

Pat's Place said...

Mmmm! I can hardly wait for cooler weather here. I love to make hearty soups and bread or cornbread for a cold evening! Today it was 89 and may get down to 70 tonight--not exactly soup or stew weather yet. However, a cold/cool front is due in by Thursday and we will drop to about 72 that day. Whee! Closer to winter!

Barb Davis said...

Pat- We seem to be having an early Fall season, so that may mean a hard winter...I'm ready!!