Sunday, April 27, 2008

Let's Have A Party

I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love parties! It doesn't matter whether it's a birthday party, a New Year's eve party, a graduation party, a wedding reception, a pot luck dinner or just a family get-together, it's something I look forward to with child-like anticipation.

When I was a child, my mother saw to it that I always had a big birthday party. There would be over twenty of my friends in attendance. She would sit up a big table under a tree and since my birthday was in July, the weather was almost always perfect. Friends still look back with fond memories to those parties full of games, party favors and laughter. Perhaps that's where I get my love of social gatherings.

I've read lately that laughter and social interaction can add years to ones life and I believe that's true. Many of the oldest people I've known had a keen sense of humor. One of my friends lived to be over one hundred and always had a joke to tell. There was never a time she didn't have a smile on her face. I wonder if her mother gave her parties, too?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine...." Proverbs 17:22

No comments: