Saturday, April 26, 2008

Seeds of Happiness

I am a worrier by nature. I spent most of my childhood and young adulthood worrying about one thing or another. And after all that anxiety, I'm sure it didn't change many things or added one extra day to my life. I do think it's given me a lot of grey hairs, an ulcer or two and cheated me out of many happy days.

As I grow older I'm finding how important it is to put angst aside and look for realities in life. I have two choices. I can listen to all those little meaningless messages constantly running around in my head or I can embrace joy and live in the present moment.

There will be inevitable stresses in our daily lives and we all must make moment by moment decisions, but there is no need to fictionalize future events. 99% of all our fears never come to pass. I'm learning to replace worry with optimism, love, laughter, and forgiveness, especially forgiveness and not let cloudy thoughts obscure the blessings of life and cheat me out of my happiness.

Martha Washington once said, "We carry the seeds of happiness with us wherever we go." We can nourish and grow these seeds within ourselves and transplant them into the lives of others.


No comments: