Friday, April 25, 2008

Pause To "Thank"

"If you pause to think, you'll have cause to thank!" -Unknown Author

Several years ago, I was going through a low period in my life. I felt depressed and discouraged. My dreams seemed unattainable and middle-age had slipped up on me. My children were moving away from home, one at a time, and I had no plan for the rest of my life. My glass was "half full", as they say. I was having a grand "pity-party" and I invited anyone I could find to be my guest. I must say, I couldn't find anyone who thought that would be a lot of fun, so I ended up with a "party" of one.

One evening as I lay in bed reading, the book's author suggested keeping a "grateful journal" and in my sad condition I decided to try it; I would have tried anything at that point.

The next day I bought a beautiful little notebook and began, each evening, listing everything I could think of that I was grateful for. Here is a very small sampling:

1. My healthy family (and my own good health)
2. My six children
3. Autumn leaves
4. The smell of wood smoke
5. A walk in the rain
6. Bubble bath
7. The color red
8. A telephone call from a friend
9. Biscuits and gravy
10. My electric blanket
11. Birthday parties
12. Snow
13. Hot chocolate
14. Christmas trees
15. Sunsets

As you can see, my list often contained "little" things, but isn't it those things which make life so delicious? I continued to write night after night and eventually ended my "pity-party". I began to realize God's gifts and how fortunate I had been all of my life. There were blessings all around me if I took enough time to "see" with my heart.

The exercise in journal-keeping changed my life. Now everyday is an adventure in joy and personal discovery.

No comments: