Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Favorite Corn Bread Recipe

The weather here has turned rainy and cool, so I'm thinking more about baking breads and making soup than I am about eating cold foods on the patio. In fact, today it's cool enough to wear a light jacket or thin sweater. Why is it we appreciate our kitchens more when the weather starts changing from summer to fall? Rain and snow always inspire me to start getting out the family's tried and true recipes and my favorite old cookbooks.

Today I'm thinking of making a batch of cornbread. We eat it buttered with honey or crumbled in a glass of milk. I make it with very little sugar added to the other ingredients. My family considers it comfort and soul food. Here is my recipe:

CORN BREAD

1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup yellow or white corn meal (I use yellow)
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Whisk all ingredients together until blended.

On stove top, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a heavy 8 or 9 inch skillet. Pour cornbread batter into hot oiled skillet.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cornbread sounds good. The picture looks good! I'm looking forward to cooler weather so that I can use the oven again. It's still a bit too warm here. I know I'll get some complaints when I use the oven to bake a birthday cake next week.

Wade said...

I will try this for sure we love corn bread and so much better homemade and not out of a box:)