Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where The Action Is

Last evening, Becka, Jim (my husband), and I went for an evening bike ride along the gorgeous Snake River bike path in Clarkston, WA. We waited until almost 7:00 p.m. thinking the weather would be cooler, but as we rode along the trail I found out just how hot it really was!

Jim must be the most "fit" man on the face of the earth; he didn't "break a sweat" the entire time we were biking and rode like the wind. Becka, the young woman she is, had no problem whatsoever, but I'm another issue! I'm just beginning to bike again, out of shape and 64 years old. In the 90 degree weather, I thought I was going to DIE, but after a few stops to catch my breath and cool off, I finally made the entire ride and got back to the car in one piece. I did realize, however, that I'm getting stronger and more confident with each excursion. I made it further than I had ever made it before.

Jim and Becka continue to give encouragement, telling me that not many 64 year old women are out there biking. I look at it this way, I don't know how many moments, days, months or years I have left, so I'm going to enjoy each second as fully as my health, energy, and bank account (not much is free these days) will allow.

Life should to be FULLY LIVED WITH ENTHUSIASM. So look for me out there where the action is.

6 comments:

Wade said...

I'm sure that it is the heat. That makes everything that should be enjoyable miserable. I hope it starts cooling off in the evenings for you.

Barb Davis said...

Janalyn- Thanks so much for caring. Blessings.

Pat's Place said...

Yes, it is important to keep fit. Good for you!! I am a few years older than you and have become an "exercise nut" after having two hip replacements. It just makes so much sense to keep all of our body parts in good shape so that we can have a good quality of life for the years that we have left. I don't want to spend my latter years in a recliner because I have way too many things to do and places to explore before I die! Oops! Pardon my soapbox!

Patty H. said...

Could not have done it in the heat. It drains me of all my energy.
Good for you for not giving up.

Barb Davis said...

Pat-Don't worry about a "soapbox"...I seem to be on one thing or another each day.

Barb Davis said...

Patty- I still need your address. Your free gift is waiting.