Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Grandma's Purple Bike

Becka and I went on another one of our adventurous bike rides this evening and I feel that I'm getting stronger and more steady with every outing.

The weather was perfect for the two block ride from my house to hers. I know that a couple of blocks doesn't sound like much, but for a 64 year old grandma, that's a lot of peddling; huffing and puffing all the way!

It wasn't that long ago that I took that first excursion around the block, after many years of not being on a bicycle. They say you never forget how to ride, but believe me, it was frightening and exhausting. Still, I'm glad I got on and gave it my best try. Every ride gets easier and more fun and I look forward to many more summer evenings, riding my purple bike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! I'm 50 and gave up bike riding years ago. Mostly 'cause traffic just scares me.
I need to do something. I gave up a very physical job and exercising this past December, now I'm reaping the consequence of a hefty weight gain.

Marilyn

Barb Davis said...

Traffic scares me, too. I try to ride the back roads and I pull over and stop every time a car is passing. I'm not confident enough, at this point, to encounter them. I love the rides, though.