Sunday, July 13, 2008

Reflections

Last evening, as I sat in my serenity garden, I thought of the past year and the changes that have taken place in my life, the life of my family, and even in the garden, itself. We are all traveling, at lightening speed, though the natural, inescapable cycles and passages of life.

The garden was quiet; not as many singing birds this year. The flowering shrubs have gotten taller, although, some had not made it through the winter. It seems the grass is a bit greener, too... perhaps from the long wet winter. The green wrought-iron swing is no longer out by the tall wooden fence, but now sits on the cool, shaded patio with the table and chairs--more intimate for guests, I think.

This year I retired from our local City Council and also gave up much of the volunteer work I've been doing. I feel it's time to relax, travel, read all of those books I've been storing on shelves, find some new interests, learn new things, develop new hobbies, spend more time with family.

This year, also, finds me authoring this blog...who would have thought such a thing? I've been able to navigate the Internet for many years, but I've always sat in awe of those who actually had their own "on-line" journals--never believing that I would, someday, be in their company.

As I sat in the garden, last evening, I also wondered what the next twelve months would bring. How will the garden have changed by this time next summer, what unforeseen "roads" will I have taken, what new friends will have come into my life, how will my family's lives have changed?

Life is a forever changing adventure-- full of exciting and even frightening challenges. Whatever lies ahead, will serve God's purpose in us and in those we touch.
Copyright 2008 By-Barbara Davis

1 comment:

Pat's Place said...

I just did a blog entry on the following quotation from a friend: "Change is the only thing constant in our lives." How true! And your words reminded me again that I just have to live in the moment and appreciate what I have today.