Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Creativity Through Silence

The air is warm and soft, as I breathe in and breathe out. It's quiet here, except for the crows, which seem to have taken over today...they squawk and fly from a nearby tree. Sometimes, I can hear them from far away and the next moment they are very close to me, overhead.

There's an occasional cooling breeze stroking the timid, dainty, red and yellow wind chime, that hangs from a dry branch of the lilac tree, next to the terrace. The gentle, exquisite puffs of wind on my skin, remind me of a friendly cat delicately nuzzling my face, but leaves as quickly as it came.

Riley, my miniature schnauzer, plays at my feet with his dingy white rubber ball--it's surface scarred from a year's worth of rolling and bouncing in the grass and dirt. He tilts his head forward, letting it drop, then watches, intently, as it rolls off in random directions. He picks it up again and the game continues. His loyal presence brings a sense of comfort and companionship.

The evening has been reflective and has given me a chance to explore creative possibilities. Insights have begun to materialize from a place deeper than the external "I". My soul has been enriched and I have come into closer contact with the Creator of all things. I am blessed, daily, as I come to this tranquil spot; taking time to be alone with the Spirit of Peace.

Creativity demands silence and solitude. Whether, it's alone in a garden, driving the car, writing at one's desk, lying in bed just before sleep--quiet time is the most important step toward the Eternal within ourselves.

"...it is in the silence of the heart that God speaks." -Mother Teresa
Copyright 2008 By-Barbara Davis

1 comment:

Linda said...

That's a very good description of your quiet time. I enjoy my time alone writing, too. When you really tune in, it's amazing the thousands of things going on around us in various microcosms--activities we rarely notice when we're busy.