Thursday, July 24, 2008

If Dreams Came True

I was married at eighteen years old (just a baby) and left my Tennessee home for sunny California with my husband who was serving in the US Navy. I didn't know at that time, that I would be traveling around the country as a military wife. For the next two decades my family and I moved every two or three years; visits back to Tennessee would be "few and far between".. as they say.

My husband left the Navy and joined the Air Force. I loved the Air Force lifestyle, but still missed my mother and my Tennessee roots. One can never, completely, leave the roots of their raising. Even though, my mother and I talked often over the phone, it was not the same as being with her in person. The last time I saw her was ten years ago--a year before her death, when she was in her mid-eighties.

Last night, I dreamed of her...she was younger than I remember. I touched her face; her complexion was flawless. We walked together up a steep hill and when we reached the top, I ask someone how far we had come... they said about two miles. I looked at my mother, in amazement, because she showed no signs of stress. I mentioned how impressed I was at her good health and the dreamed ended.

If only.... dreams came true.
Copyright 2008 By-Barbara J. Kirby Davis

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Barbara,
What a touching post about your mother.
I too married at 18. My husband was in the air force the first five years. Since then, we have lived at least six hours away and now it's eleven hours. She will be 72 in September and I just don't see her enough. It's my fault too.

Barb Davis said...

Marilyn- In my dream, I was going to a family reunion...just like you. A good mother is so precious and must be treasured while we have them here with us. Give her lots of hugs.

Patty H. said...

What a sweet dream of your mother.
Blessings
Patty H>

Barb Davis said...

Patty- Thanks so much for the comment. My mother was an angel here on earth and I'm sure she's enjoying her Heavenly Home today.